Grade 8 Summer Reading -- Nonfiction
- The Boys’ War: Confederate and Union Soldiers Talk About the Civil War by Jim Murphy
Assignment: Create a Google Doc or a Google Slide Show that answers these questions fully and completely (Avoid one word answers). (50 points)
- What do you already know about the American Civil War?
- Select five soldiers that are discussed in this book and then provide a brief summary about them. Who are they? Whose side did they fight on? What did they do during the war? What battles did they fight in? What happened to them during the war? FYI: Thomas Galway, Elisha Stockwell, Jr., John Delhaney, and Charles Nott are some of the soldiers that get mentioned the most. Include page numbers.
- After reading this book, what facts and information did you learn about the American Civil War? Provide 3-5 examples.
- What pictures did you find interesting? Why? Include a page number.
- Were there any vocabulary words you did not know? If so, list them and define them.
- Using this book, what were the causes and effects of the American Civil War?
- Do you feel that this book is complete? If not, what do you think the author (Jim Murphy) should have included?
- Would you be interested in learning more details about the soldiers and/or the American Civil War in general? Why or why not?
Grade 8 Summer Reading -- Fiction
Grade 7 Summer Reading